The German Artist Visa


This article was revised on January 24, 2018 to reflect known developments to the visa process. As before, the writer is a lowly civilian with no credentials on the subject of visas other than her own personal experience. And thanks for visiting! Follow BERLIN ARTIFACT for more about Berlin culture, art, food, travel, and more.

The German artist visa allows non-EU citizens to live in Germany for one year to pursue creative freelance work. It can be prolonged for up to five years, and depending on the jobs you receive, can be broadened over time to permit other types of work. It is effectively a freelance visa with permission to work as an artist, but that’s about as much as I can say on the subject. As far as I can tell, you are granted the visa that allows you to do the kind of work you are qualified to do.

Be sure to do your research. My experience with German visas has been pieced together through trial and error, but the overall steps are relatively simple. I’m hoping that this guide can help you avoid detours. I’ll list links when available.

Although this visa is available throughout Germany, the immigration office in Berlin is most acquainted with the process. For anyone looking to explore creative projects in Europe, I would recommend starting out in Berlin.

Note: The Berlin immigration office (Ausländerbehörde) is one of the few Berlin institutions where employees don’t (or won’t) speak English. If you want to avoid hysterically waving your arms and grunting during the appointment, I’d bring someone who speaks German with you the first time around.


You need an address in the city you’ll be living. As of November 1, 2015, it is now required to have a “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung,” filled out by your landlord in order to register. Download the form here

More about Registering in Berlin here

Appointments at the registration office (Burgeramt) have long waiting times make an appointment here, so your best bet is to arrive a half-hour before your local office opens (so, 6:30 for a 7:00 a.m. opening) and wait in line to receive a number. (Trust me, if you get there at opening time you’ll be too far back in line to get an appointment and will have to wake up horrendously early again the next day.) This is worth a try, but your local office may tell you that you need an appointment. In that case, tough luck. Once you register your address, you’ll receive a stamped form which you’ll need for your appointment at the Ausländerbehörde.

Health Insurance

Applicants for a work visa are required to be health insured. As a first-time visa applicant, I squeezed by with travel insurance, a much more affordable option (which I’ve heard is no longer accepted). But I had to switch to German insurance when I worked full-time for a German theater.* German insurance is a hefty monthly expense (around 250 Euro a month for the most basic plan). I have Barmer, and am pretty happy with them. Barmer’s English website. (Side note: the Künstlersozialkasse (KSK) is a program for freelance artists that assumes the role of an employer by paying half of your insurance premiums. It’s a whole new can of worms to apply for this and be accepted, but is worth it if you plan to stay in Germany for awhile.)


The Berlin Ausländerbehörde is located at Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24, 13353 Berlin.

There are boards indicating where people from each country should go. American citizens should head to the second floor of building C (third floor in the US system).

Appointments at the Ausländerbehörde have a three-month wait time, but can be booked online in advance. make an appointment here. Make sure to be on time for your appointment, and bring a print-out of your appointment confirmation (with number). If you don’t have an appointment, you can still arrive at opening and wait in line to speak with an agent in room 218, but you might be waiting for awhile. (You’ll also have to do more insecure arm-waving to explain what you need.)

What to Bring

  1. Berlin registration certificate
  2. Proof of German health insurance
  3. Valid passport
  4. Application for artist visa: application pdf
  5. Portfolio: I learned that a nice photo on top helps, resume, jobs you’ve done, articles, reviews, and letters of recommendation can’t hurt, either. The more the better.
  6. Two job offers: you want to show that you’re desirable to the German market, but don’t go crazy. A letter or email from a friend or colleague saying that you will do a project together in Germany on a certain date should suffice. Agents become more specific about what they want during the visa renewal process, but for starters they are pretty easy going.
  7. Passport-sized photos. There’s a machine in the building where you can take them for 7 Euro. I’d do it there, because they want to see the official-looking green rectangle on the side of the page. Don’t ask me why.
  8. Bank statment: This is to confirm that you can support yourself, and that you won’t take money from the government to survive. If you have any savings, transfer it into your account for this purpose. A few thousand Euro is ideal.
  9. The visa will cost between 50 and 110 Euro, which you’ll pay at check-out.

If you’re missing something, an agent might give you a new appointment and tell you what to bring next time. But if they’re satisfied with your materials, you should receive an artist visa that day, most likely for one year to start. Now you’re allowed to work as a freelance artist in Berlin. Congratulations!

A few cautionary notes:

*If you’re a performer, this may apply to you. Theaters can’t hire guest performers as freelancers, so they’ll hire you as an employee for a fixed period. In order to do jobs like these with a freelance visa, you need to go back to the Ausländerbehörde with an unsigned contract and a few applications to have your visa amended. (form for employee and form for employer). They’ll send these things to the Work Agency (Agentur für Arbeit) for permission. This process takes three weeks if you’re lucky. When you receive notice, you’ll return to the Ausländerbehörde to pick up your revised visa. This all has to happen before you can start working.

Never tell the immigration office that you need the visa because you already started the job, whether or not you’ve been paid. You can and will be deported if you work without a valid visa. The dates on your visa need to match the dates on your contract.

If you want to renew this visa after a year, make sure that you make another appointment at the Ausländerbehörde at least three months before your visa expires. You can’t allow time to lapse between visas if you’re hoping for an extension.

So, am I missing anything? Ask a question or share your experience here. If you decide to explore getting an artist visa, or have other concerns about living abroad, let me know.

Good luck!


  1. I think it’s worth mentioning that if you aren’t American, Canadian, or Australian (maybe more countries; I think all “developed countries” are included in this) you have to do the application from your home country’s German Embassy if you are in Europe on a 90 day Schengen Visa. They make it very confusing and nowhere does it indicate this, but it seems that if you are from a “developing country” you have to do it this way.


    1. Hi KJB, thanks for your comment! I’m not familiar with applying outside of Germany, but this is definitely something to look into.


  2. Hi Lucy, I’m Kathleen from Red Tape Translation and your post seems to have caused some waves online! Someone tagged me and asked me to reply to it. There’s lots of good stuff in here – I’m an opera singer and in the Künstlersozialkasse myself, so I know exactly what you’re talking about a lot of the time! But a few things have changed over the years, and especially so in the last 6-12 months. 1 – health insurance. Oh my God what a drama! It IS a legal requirement that all German residents have health insurance, by the way. And if you walked in now with travel insurance, their heads would probably spin. Anyway, best to talk to a broker and get something that is guaranteed by a professional to check all the bureaucratic boxes in this regard. 2 – registering your address: a letter from a friend is no longer good enough. You need a special form, filled out and signed. 3 – the two job offers: the agents aren’t so easy-going anymore, especially not at the beginning. 4 – how much money in the bank: this is sooooo subjective and depends on your expenses. If you, for example, are paying 1500 a month in rent and you have no concrete job offers with concrete amounts of money on them, then a few thousand in the bank might not cut it. 5 – the “German Artist’s Visa” is just a federal freelance work permit, it doesn’t really exist. Bloggers made it famous! But plenty of cities in Germany are not in the habit of giving it out as liberally as the Berlin office does. 6 – Qualifications are a huge issue now and when I accompany people to these appointments, it’s one of the first things they’re asked about – are you qualified to do what you want to do? (E.g. do you have a diploma?) 7 – Although some theatres prefer to employ you for a guest project, plenty of theatres (especially smaller, less wealthy ones) are very happy to give you an “Honorarvertrag”. I’ve been guesting and jumping in in Germany exclusively on Honorarverträge since 2012, although if someone wanted to employ me instead, I certainly wouldn’t complain! As you said, this is only your experience. Everyone has such different circumstances that affect their cases in such massive ways. Thanks for sharing, and hope you’re loving Germany. Cheers!


    1. Hi Kathleen! Thank you for this helpful information. Of course it’s true that things change, and I’m really happy to open a dialogue.

      Although it’s true that the artist visa is a form of freelance visa, I was given specific permission to work as an artist (luckily a broader spectrum of options than just “dancer.”)

      In terms of the “Honorarvertrag,” that you mentioned, I was under the impression that theaters are no longer allowed to do this. I’ve always been required to work guest jobs as a short-term, full-time employee, all revisions to my visa at my own expense. That is, until recently, when I received “erwerbstätigkeit gestattet” status on my visa, and could work all jobs-freelance or otherwise. What a relief that was!

      It’s probably also important to mention that each Ausländerbehörde will have its own specific way of doing things, and that we are always at their mercy in the end.

      Thank for sharing your experience! Best wishes, Lucy


  3. Dear Lucy,

    Thanks for posting this! I am doing some research before flying to Berlin next month.

    I have a “working holiday” visa and a 1-year travel insurance plan, both will expire in Feb, 2019. I think I would like to apply for the “Artist Visa” if I manage to get some job offers during my one year stay in Berlin. As you have mentioned, one should apply for the “Artist Visa” 3 months before their current visa’s expired, so I should make an appointment in early Nov in 2018. Will I need to buy an annual insurance plan already at that point (with a start date in Feb, 2019)? I feel a bit funny about this as it sounds a bit risky to be paying such a big sum before being granted a visa, or am I misunderstanding something?

    What do you think?

    Thank you,


    1. Hi Ve, Thanks for writing! I’m no expert, but I would suggest calling some insurance companies by phone and asking them their best ideas for coverage. You don’t pay for an entire year at once, so I assume that you can cancel whenever you choose. Though if you stay in Germany, you need to remain insured. Good luck!


  4. Great article! Do you have any more information on the Kuenstlersozialkasse?
    Apparently you can apply for the KSK when on an artist visa, correct?
    The problem is, in order to become member of the KSK you have to have an artist visa, while to get the visa, you have to have a health insurance. Can you be a member of the state insurance, not a private insurance, as a self-employed and then apply for the KSK? Or would you need to be privately insured in Germany first and then switch to KSK and state insurance? Would the state insurance accept you under these circumstances?


    1. Hi Julian, yes, you have to be insured before you apply to the KSK. But if you choose private insurance, it might be hard to go back to state. I stuck with state all along. Best of luck!


      1. Thank you for your reply! How does that work as a freelance artist though, i. e. a self-employed?

        Tell me where I’m wrong:
        (1a) Self-employed means one does not qualify for state insurance and only private insurance is an option, (1b) unless one is member of KSK.
        (2) To get into KSK, one has to have insurance already.
        (3) To get an artist visa, one has to have insurance already.
        (4) To get into state insurance one has to have a (non-tourist) visa, such as an artist visa.
        (5) You need to have an artist visa to get into KSK

        Hence under these circumstances, a (always) self-employed artist on an artist visa can’t get a state insurance because:
        – Artist Visa –> KSK –> State Insurance is not an option because of (3) and (2)
        – Artist Visa –> State Insurance –> KSK is not an option because of (3) and (1b)
        – KSK –> State Insurance –> Artist Visa is not an option because of (2) and (5)
        – State Insurance –> Artist Visa –> KSK is not an option because of (4) and (1b)

        Consequently, the only two options are:

        a) Private Insurance –> Artist Visa –> KSK –> Hoping a state insurance allows you to switch to them. Not switch BACK though, but switch from private to state for the first time. (Does that matter? Is there a possible path?)

        b) Be employed –> State Insurance –> Artist Visa –> Quit job and declare self-employment –> KSK

        Am I missing anything? I tried to make the problem I see as clear as possible, but I guess bureaucracy is complicated anywhere in the world. Thanks for taking your time, I appreciate it a lot!


      2. I think you’re overthinking it. A private person can sign up for state insurance. The people I know who have private insurance have serious illnesses who need specific coverages not offered in the state systems. Barmer and TK are examples of state systems that have good coverage. If you are employed, the employer pays half of your premium. If you’re freelance and in the KSK, they act as your employer and do the same. I would take the steps one at a time. first, sign up with a provider. then apply to the KSK and see if they can take on half of your fees. Best of luck!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s